CAMEL’S BACK , MUSSORIE-LISTENING TO MOZART
Ripping the secrets of the haunted places in Doon is in trend, where many places of tourist attraction in Mussoorie are linked with paranormal activities. In this edition we’ve tried hard to keep it linked with music. In Mussoorie, mid nineteenth century could be imagined as the renaissance period. A new place in north discovered by British Indians in 1845 and named it as “Mussoorie”. Before the rebel of Meerut, the time when Mirza Ghalib used to live at Balli Maran in Delhi, Bahadur Shah Zafar was on the sultanate, the whiskey by sir Henry Bohle Brewery later bought by Sir John MacKinnon was so much famous that Ghalib quoted “Mussoorie ki hawa hi nahi paani me bhi nasha hai”. When world war was on, there were many British men who died in front were buried in the Camel Back crematory. Many travellers come to Mussoorie in search of their ancestors here. Sir Henry Bohle was also buried in this crematory.
Walking four to five kilometres in the interior of mall road, camel back road hides some deep secrets in its zig zag lanes. One can simply listen to the music here, which is as mysterious as this place. The Hawaghar, which is constructed for nature sighting for tourists, is main centre of attraction here. Later it was named as ‘The Lover’s Leap’ and the story behind this name is as intense as the name suggests, once a British couple was on a horse ride through this road and one of them fell down the hill and to rescue her fiancé she jumped down as well. The name “lover’s leap” is a tribute to the couples in love. Such incidents may give goose bumps to lose hearts but, the romanticism and sacrifice is the kind of morals one should notice here. If one is listening to classical music like “Beethoven”, the trip will surely be an inspiration for that person. The camel hump or back is clearly visible from the road after an acute turn from hawaghar.
Several known personalities like Madan Mohan Malviya, Sardar Patel, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru used to trek here. British generals called it a “pony trek”, which fortunately still exists as there is no traffic on this road and nature lovers can take a calm walk here. Though, many people claim that Mussoorie exists from the mall road, but there is a clean evidence that the architectural heritage and its richness in camel back road is a back bone of the existence of Mussoorie. The camel back road was one of the favourite destinations for the Nawab Iftaqar Ali khan and his son Tiger Pataudi, they stayed here in June 1935.At that time wooden rickshaws were quite in use. These rickshaws used to take Maharaja Krishna of Allahabad and their royal guests all the way from Rajpur to camel back. There are many ghosts stories associated with these rickshaws of Mussoorie; one such is narrated in Ganesh Saili’s book “Mussoorie Medley”. It’s about a rickshaw dweller still waiting to be paid by an Englishmen who refused to pay him after a ride from Rajpur to whimper’s brewery.
Camel back witnessed loss of great heritage like the Essex lodge, the tin roofed bungalow knocked down when the government allowed the construction of satang hall. The 125 years old heritage was ruined for bunch of political benefits and was sacrificed in the name for development.